Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Miami Updates" - AP Conference Post

Well, I certainly expected more time to be able to get on the Internet but I suppose that's not really the point of this conference so I will accept and embrace that tomorrow. There is WiFi access but nowhere to plug in the computer to a power source so I didn't want to kill my computer and only used it for sending a few critical e-mails today when I could. I will be able to check e-mails when I get back into my room tonight and tomorrow after 6pm or so but otherwise catch me on my cell if you need me.

My, my, my - off to a good start with the conference. A great and full first day. I will begin to post about the different sessions (probably more after the conference-sponsored dinner tonight) but I wanted to spend a few minutes updating on not just the conference, but Miami as well.

Yesterday was just a travel day but I met up with a few planner friends that I know from school and we headed out to explore the food and culture of Miami. One of our friends lives here so she directed us a few blocks from the Loews Hotel to Lincoln Road. It's more of a touristy spot but is a large open shopping area dotted with restaurants. It was quite humid but under the shade we enjoyed our lunch...

Later we enjoyed some time on the beach and the people watching led me to coin the phrase "Man on the Beach" - I have trademarked that if we want to use it later. ;)

But for the real fun, our final stop for the day was on Ocean Drive to experience a little more of Miami culture. Miami is a place of image and status. I'm sure it would be hard to rival Ocean Drive in illustrating this point more clearly. A parade of expensive and tricked out cars, people gawking and taking pictures at the opulence, and a few oddities made up what Ocean Drive, and I think Miami, is all about. We stopped at a restaurant for dinner and was promptly placed at a table right on the sidewalk in perfect view of the mix of tourists and attention-seekers.

I'll give you a few highlights - a lime green Lamborghini that created a stir for at least 30 minutes, a woman tanned well beyond a color nature would ever give her (well, I'm sure she wasn't the only one), a man with a chihuahua in the basket of his bicycle dressed in American flags, and several young girls asking for donations to be sent on trips to Disneyland or somewhere else mildly amusing.

This was surely Miami at its finest!! :p An interesting view into the culture complete with retro design and brightly colored buildings was my first view of Miami.

No comments: